If you’ve traveled at all this summer, you’ve probably noticed pre-pandemic level crowds (and prices) in popular spots around the world. In this travel upswing, what destinations are seeing the biggest surges in popularity?
Intrepid Travel has just named its hottest destinations of summer, and unsurprisingly, the list offers plenty of inspiration for travelers looking for their next adventure.
TRAVEL WITH EXPERTS: Best Tour Companies for Guided Tours
According to Intrepid’s Matt Berna, “We’re also seeing more travelers book last minute at the risk of missing out on an adventure during an exciting summer for travel.” And even if summer isn’t in the cards, most of the destinations on this list would be great in other seasons as well, when prices trend lower and booking tends to be easier.
Here are Intrepid’s most popular tours this summer:
- Iceland takes the top spot with Iceland Discovery and spot number nine with its shorter Iceland Express.
- Morocco scores second place with Morocco Uncovered and makes another appearance in tenth place with the top-hits tour Best of Morocco.
- Greece is in third place with the mainland + islands Athens to Santorini.
- Always-popular Italy has the fourth place spot with Intrepid’s Rome to Amalfi.
- Scotland is in fifth place with the Highlights of Scotland tour.
- France, Italy, and Switzerland share sixth place with the active Hike the Tour du Mont Blanc trip.
- Turkey takes seventh place with the Turkey Highlights tour.
- Closer to home, Canada is eighth with another active option, the Hiking in the Canadian Rockies tour.
We love lists like this because they give us a peek into how evergreen favorites and emerging popular spots are faring in this post-pandemic travel world. The lineup suggests that people are getting out there for a variety of reasons: to see top sights, to visit faraway spots with the structure of a group trip, and to push their physical limits to see some of the most beautiful places on earth.