Active travel tour company Backroads has rounded up the most romantic hotels that guests stay at on its biking, hiking, and multi-adventure tours, and the list is inspiring. Here are a few of our favorites:
- São Lourenço do Barrocal: This 200-year-old estate set among olive orchards in Alentejo, Portugal, balances simple and rustic with comfort and luxury for a stay that earns itself a spot on Conde Nast Traveler’s Gold List. Bonus points for its location in a Dark Sky Reserve, which means great star gazing. The hotel is part of Backroads’ Portugal Bike Tour.
- Hotel Tresanton: This coastal hotel in Cornwall is an intoxicating mix of sun-kissed cottages, candlelit dinners, and beautiful sea views. Set in the pretty-darned-charming village of St. Mawes on the island’s Roseland Peninsula, it’s as easy to explore the local surroundings as it is to relax at this elegant hotel. The hotel is a stop on England’s Cornwall Walking & Hiking Tour.
- Torfhús Retreat: This wild cluster of cottages set against Iceland’s Golden Circle sets the stage for connecting with both nature and your partner. Its private lava rock hot tubs are the perfect place for some stargazing (and Northern Lights scoping). Bonus points for the hotel’s serious commitment to innovative cuisine. This hotel is part of the itinerary on Backroads’ Iceland Northern Lights Multi-Adventure Tour.
Sometimes hotels get lost in the shuffle of tours, or take a backseat to the activities offered. And frankly, not all tour companies have a focus on exceptional accommodations. So it’s fun to take a look at some of the beautiful hotels of Backroads tours. Even if you’re not on a tour, it’s a great chance to see what a company that scout hotels around the world considers to be the most romantic spots.
More from TourScoop:
- 14 Best Companies for Guided Tours
- 6 Adventure Travel and Active Tour Trends for 2023
- 7 Immersive France Tours for 2023